Speech by Deputy Prime Minister and Minister for Finance Mr Lawrence Wong, at The Riders Aid Singapore's National Day and Racial Harmony Charity Ride 2022, on Sunday, 14 August 202214 Aug 2022
Excellencies, Distinguished Guests, Riders
Ladies and Gentlemen
1. Very good to see you all of you here this afternoon. Thank you for having me join your event and also having this chance to ride a motorcycle. I have not done it for over 20 years already. The last time I did it was when I was a student in America. So since then, I rode for a little bit but I have not ridden a motorcycle for 20 years. But I think some skills, you do not forget, even after 20 years. Thank you for having me. Thank you very much.
2. It is so nice that we are doing this. As the emcee says, everything is back to normal this year. And we are doing this during the week when we celebrate National Day. There is a lot that we can give thanks for, that we can appreciate and celebrate after all of that we have been through together these past two-and-a-half years.
3. I want to start by thanking all of you for doing your part, helping us get through the worst of COVID-19 and getting through the last two-and-a-half years. All of you have done your part in contributing to our efforts to fight COVID-19 together. Thank you very much once again.
4. One reason why we have been able to get through this is because of the spirit of all Singaporeans. People like yourselves coming together. Even though we have different backgrounds, we come together and we contribute to something larger than ourselves. We give back to the community. We contribute to building a better Singapore and that is what Riders Aid Singapore is all about. Thank you Mr Kumar for starting this very wonderful effort and initiative. Thank you to all of you for doing good and contributing to the Children's Cancer Foundation this year. I think these are meaningful efforts and initiatives. Every year you do something different, you contribute to a different foundation. In the last two-and-a-half years, I know riders have even been going out to deliver food to needy families and needy households. So to all our riders brothers and sisters, thank you very much for everything that you do.
5. I hope this spirit of solidarity, this spirit of unity, will be something we continue to cherish as one people in Singapore. With a strong sense of unity as one people, we can surely overcome any challenges ahead of us, and we can look forward to a better future in Singapore. Happy National Day, all the best and have a good weekend.