Composition Of Steering Group And Working Committee On Population18 Mar 2004
In his Budget Speech on 27 Feb 2004, Deputy Prime Minister and Finance Minister Mr Lee Hsien Loong spoke on the challenges of building Singapore's next generation. He tasked Mr Lim Hng Kiang, Minister in the Prime Minister's Office and Second Minister for Finance, to oversee a holistic review of measures to boost Singapore's population.
2 Assisting Mr Lim is a civil service Working Committee on Population that will study the suitability of specific proposals to address Singapore's low fertility rate and encourage foreigners to sink roots here. As the issues involve multiple government agencies, the Working Committee on Population comprises officials from several Ministries, led by the Permanent Secretary in the Prime Minister's Office, Mr Eddie Teo. The detailed composition of the Working Committee is provided at the Annex.
3 The Working Committee will report to a Steering Group. The Steering Group will guide the Working Committee in its work. It will be chaired by Minister Lim Hng Kiang. Other members in the Steering Group are Minister for Community Development and Sports Dr Yaacob Ibrahim, Acting Minister for Manpower Dr Ng Eng Hen, Deputy Speaker and MP for Marine Parade GRC, Mrs Lim Hwee Hua, and MP for Hong Kah GRC Dr Amy Khor.
4 The Steering Group and Working Committee target to finalise their recommendations for announcement by August 2004.
MEMBERS OF WORKING COMMITTEE ON POPULATION
1. Mr Eddie Teo,Permanent Secretary (Prime Minister's Office)
2. Ms Lim Soo Hoon, Permanent Secretary(Ministry of Community Development and Sports)
3. Ms Yong Ying-I, Permanent Secretary (Ministry of Manpower)
4. LG(NS) Lim Chuan Poh, 2nd Permanent Secretary (Ministry of Education)
5. Mrs Ow Foong Pheng, Deputy Secretary (Ministry of Manpower)
6. Mr Leo Yip, Deputy Secretary (Workforce Development), Ministry of Manpower
7. Mr Ravi Menon, Deputy Secretary (Policy), Ministry of Finance
8. Mr Ong Ye Kung, Principal Private Secretary to DPM Lee
9. Dr Paul Cheung, Chief Statistician
10. Mr Chew Hock Yong, Director (Social & Security Programmes), Ministry of Finance
11. Ms Jacqueline Poh, Coordinator (Social & Security Programmes), Ministry of Finance
12. Mr Jeffrey Wong, Director (Policy & Operations), Ministry of Home Affairs
13. Mr Roy Quek, Director (Corporate Services), Ministry of Education
14. Ms Charlotte Beck, Director (Family Policy), Ministry of Community Development and Sports
15. Mr Chan Heng Kee, Director (Strategic Policy & Research), Ministry of Community Development and Sports
PRIME MINISTER'S OFFICE