800,000 HDB Households to Receive $90 Million of GST Voucher - U-Save in January 201231 Dec 2012
1. About 800,000 Singaporean HDB households can expect to receive $90m worth of GST Voucher – Utilities-Save (U-Save) rebates in January 2013. The GST Voucher – U-Save is a household benefit under the permanent GST Voucher scheme. It was introduced in Budget 2012 to provide continuing assurance that lower-income Singaporeans benefit from our fiscal system.
2. An eligible Singaporean household can receive one GST Voucher – U-Save of up to $130 in January 2013, depending on their HDB flat type (see Table below). There is no sign-up required for the rebates, and utilities charges of households will be offset directly.
Table: 2013 GST Voucher – U-Save (given on a per household basis)
HDB flat type
3. The GST Voucher – U-Save is paid out in January and July each year. Those living in 1- to 2-room HDB flats can offset about 3 to 4 months of utilities bills on average with their yearly GST Voucher – U-Save. Those living in 3- to 4-room HDB flats can offset up to 2 months of utilities bills on average.
4. Taking into account the other components of the GST Voucher, which include the GST Voucher – Cash and Medisave, Singaporean lower-income and retiree households would have received a significant offset for their GST expenses this year. Middle-income families would also have received a GST Voucher that will partially offset their GST expenses.
Whom the public can contact for more information
5. For more information on the GST Voucher – U-Save rebates, the public can call SP Services at 6671 7117, or email firstname.lastname@example.org. More information on the GST Voucher can also be found at www.gstvoucher.gov.sg.
MINISTRY OF FINANCE
31 DECEMBER 2012