The Workfare Bonus Scheme (WBS) is part of the Progress Package announced by the Government on 17 February 2006. The WBS gives a cash bonus to older, low wage Singaporean workers to reward regular and productive work. The first portion of WBS was given out in May 2006 for work done in 2005. The Government will be giving out the second and final portion of WBS to all eligible Singaporeans from 1 May 2007 for work done in 2006.

The WBS has been replaced by the Workfare Income Supplement (WIS) scheme.

Who is eligible for the Workfare Bonus 2007?
To get the Workfare Bonus, you must
  • Be a Singapore Citizen
  • Be employed or self-employed and work for at least 6 months in calendar year 2006
  • Have signed up for the Progress Package in 2006
  • Aged 40 and above as at 31 December 2006
  • Live in a property with an Annual Value of $10,000 or less as at 31 December 2006
  • Earn an average monthly income of $1,500 or less in calendar year 2006

How is my income and employment determined?

If you are:  
An Employee with CPF Your employment and income will be automatically verified using your CPF contribution records. Under the CPF Act, employers are required to make CPF contributions on behalf of their employees if they earn more than $50 monthly. You need not make any application or declare your income to qualify for WBS.
If you are:  
A Self-employed person If you are required to furnish an Income Tax Return, you will be assessed based on your income tax declaration to IRAS. You need not make any application to qualify for WBS.
If you are an employee but do not have CPF contributions and have not received an Income Tax Return by 1 March to furnish last year's income, you can apply for WBS by declaring your income using the WBS Income Declaration Forms available at all CPF Service Centres & selected Community Centre/Clubs (CCs). WBS counters at CCs will open from 1st February 2007 to 1st April 2007. Opening hours are as follows:

At CCs: 12pm - 9 pm daily (including Saturdays and Sundays), except for Nee Soon Central CC: 2 pm - 9 pm. Closed on public holidays and on the eve of Chinese New Year.

At CPF Service Centres: Mondays to Fridays: 8am to 5pm, and Saturdays: 8am to 1pm. Closed on public holidays.

To receive your Workfare Bonus on 1 May 2007, please submit your Income Tax Return or the WBS Income Declaration Form to IRAS or CPF Board respectively by 1st April 2007.

Closing date for Workfare Bonus 2007 income declarations
Declarations made after 30 June 2007 will not be accepted.

How much Workfare Bonus can I receive?
If you had worked at least 6 months in year 2005, you would have received the first portion of the Workfare Bonus. The second portion of the Workfare Bonus will be paid on 1st May 2007 for work done in 2006. The amount of bonus you will receive will be based on your average monthly income for the months you had worked in calendar year 2006. You may receive up to $600 of bonus, depending on your average monthly income.

The amount of Workfare Bonus is based on your average monthly income for the continuous period that you had worked in the year.

Average Monthly Income
Bonus to be paid on
1st May 2007
$400 and below 1.5 months salary or $75, whichever is higher

Above $400 to $900


Above $900 to $1,200 $400
Above $1,200 to $1,500 $200

How will I be paid the Workfare Bonus?
10% of the bonus will be credited into your CPF Medisave account to help build up your savings to take care of your healthcare needs. The remaining 90% of the bonus will be paid in cash. You will receive the bonus either by direct bank credit or by cheque, depending on how you had selected in 2006 to receive your Progress Package monies.


Copyright© 2007. All rights reserved. Central Provident Fund Board