1. About 900,000 Singaporean HDB households will receive the next instalment of the GST Voucher – Utilities-Save (U-Save) rebate in October 2018.
2. The U-Save rebate is one of three components under the permanent GST Voucher scheme. The U-Save rebate helps HDB households to offset part of their utilities bills, and therefore lower their overall household expenses. It is distributed every three months. The total expenditure on U-Save rebates is expected to amount to $280 million a year.
3. Annually, the permanent GST Voucher – U-Save rebate has enabled households in 1- and 2-room HDB flats to receive support which is equivalent to about 3 to 4 months of their utilities bills on average. Those living in 3- and 4-room HDB flats have received support equivalent to about 1 to 2 months of their utilities bills.
4. In October 2018, eligible Singaporean households will each receive a GST Voucher – U-Save of up to $95, depending on their HDB flat type (see Table 1).
5. As announced in Budget 2018, eligible households will receive an additional $20 per year ($5 per quarter) for 3 years, from 2019 to 2021. This will help households adjust to the carbon tax when it is implemented from 2019. The increase in U-Save will cover the expected average increase in electricity and gas expenses for HDB households arising from the introduction of the carbon tax.
Table 1: GST Voucher – U-Save for October 2018
HDB Flat type
Rebate given out in
Rebate to be given in
Total annual rebate
1- and 2-Room
Note: Households whose members own more than one property are not eligible for the GST Voucher – U-Save.
For more information
6. For more information on the GST Voucher – U-Save, members of the public can call SP Group at 6671-7117, or email email@example.com. More information on the GST Voucher can also be found at www.gstvoucher.gov.sg.
Ministry of Finance
1 Oct 2018