Close to 500,000 Eligible Seniors Will Receive Letters on the Merdeka Generation Package by end April
1. Close to 500,000 Singaporean seniors will receive letters by end April 2019, informing them of their eligibility for the Merdeka Generation Package. Citizens can also check their eligibility for the Package online at www.merdekageneration.sg. From late June 2019, Merdeka Generation seniors will receive their Welcome Folder and Card.
Merdeka Generation Package
2. As announced at Budget 2019, the Merdeka Generation Package aims to encourage our seniors to stay active and healthy, and provide greater assurance with healthcare costs in their silver years. Singapore citizens who meet the following criteria can look forward to receiving the Merdeka Generation Package:
a. Born from 1 January 1950 to 31 December 1959; and
b. Became Singapore citizens by 31 December 1996
3. The Merdeka Generation Package will also be extended to the following group of Singapore citizens:
a. Born on 31 December 1949 or earlier; and
b. Became Singapore citizens by 31 December 1996; and
c. Do not receive the Pioneer Generation Package.
4. Please see Annex A
for the implementation timeline of Merdeka Generation benefits. No action is needed at this time for eligible seniors to receive their benefits.
5. The mandate of the existing Pioneer Generation Appeals Panel will be expanded to consider appeals for the Merdeka Generation Package. It will be renamed the Pioneer Generation and Merdeka Generation Appeals Panel (“Appeals Panel”).
6. The Appeals Panel will be chaired by Mr Timothy James de Souza, with Mr James Koh Cher Siang and Ms Lim Soo Hoon as Deputy Chairpersons. Panel members are individuals with diverse experiences and have contributed significantly to society. Please see Annex B
for the composition of the Appeals Panel.
7. Singapore citizens born on or earlier than 1959, who missed the citizenship criterion (i.e. became Singapore citizens after 31 December 1996) and have good claims to be counted among the Merdeka Generation, can submit an appeal for the Package. Appeals will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
8. The Appeals Panel will not consider appeals from those who miss out on the age criterion (i.e. born after 31 December 1959).
9. Appeals may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
10. More details on the Merdeka Generation Package can be found at www.merdekageneration.sg
. Information on other benefits announced at Budget 2019 can be found at www.singaporebudget.gov.sg
11. Those with further queries on the Merdeka Generation Package can contact us at:
a. 1800 2222 888 (general enquiries), 1800 650 6060 (healthcare enquiries); or
Issued by the Ministry of Finance
1 April 2019